Friday, November 4, 2011

Strange times..

Strange is the only word to explain the last 24 hours. It started with a rush of great excitement, then huge disappointment, followed by a night of being sad and then a morning of something amazing.
Let me go into more detail.

12:22pm - 2/11/11
I get a call from Glyn "Ovs" Ovens, a big wave charger from Wales saying that there is something big about to happen over the UK and I should come over and shoot. Looking like its gonna be a solid 10ft swell on a new super slab. It will be huge and the first time its been surfed.
Naturally I get excited by this but am not sure about if I can afford to just take off.
Ovs hangs up to go looks into flights etc..

1:23pm - 2/11/11
Flights booked.
It didn't take long to persuade me at all. The excitement level had now gone through the roof as I got home and started packing. I didn't know how long I was going to be there for or what I was even going to need. I packed a basic enough bag and ate some food. I rang Fionan Cronin who was ok with driving me to Dublin Airport (because he is a legend). Everything is working out perfect. I have a permanent smile on my face now.

2:10pm - 2/11/11
Checking the bag one more time,
Cameras, Lenses, batterys, memory, hard drives, chargers, passport, printed boarding pass, few teeshirts. Done! Out the door I go to Ennis to meet Fionan.

2:31pm - 2/11/11
Stuck behind a tractor on the way, he is moving at about 30kph. All I wanna do is get passed him but its all bends and turns. I calm myself down. Loads of time, stop stressing.

2:39pm - 2/11/11
Im panicing, the tractor has now started to travel so slow that I have considered the option of parking up, getting out and running.

2:54pm - 2/10/11
All is good, I am on the dual carriage-way heading for Dublin. Fionan is driving so I start to check my camera bag for everything to make sure all is there. It all looks good. Im getting super excited!!

4:09pm - 2/11/11
One hour into the journey to Dublin. Fionan and I have been talking about how good this trip might be.
I cant wait. Fionan runs through some things with me and asks me "Your Passports not expired is it?".
SHIT!!!!
I pull the passport out of my bag rush to the page and there it was "26 ME / JUN 2011".

Disappointed wasn't even the word. I was in bits. We tried ringing the airport but they said theres no hope getting on the plane unless I had my driving license with me. Of course the license was sitting in my car back at Fionans house.
So that was it. The end. We had to turn around and head back home.

10:30pm - 2/11/11
Im at Donough Cronins house watching a film. Thinking this is the worst day ever. How could my fecking passport be expired. I put it down to my own stupidity.

______________________
The Next Day


10:25am - 3/11/11
I got this shot the next morning in Ireland.
I guess some bad things happen for good reasons.


9:18pm - 3/11/11
I am sitting at my computer writing this blog. The shot above is one of the worst from today. That will give you a scale of how good the shots are.
Looking back I would have loved to have been on that flight for the adventure but I have got some amazing shots from Rileys this morning instead. 
There will be a next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment